I’m doing it! After working at the same company for nearly 10 years, I’ve decided to give it a go on my own. I’ve been planning this for some time now. When I started The Pet Wiki nearly a year ago, I knew that there was a serious chance that this might happen, and to my delightful surprise, it has.
I’ve got a ways to go yet, but along the way, these are some of the lessons that I’ve learned:
- Make friends. I have an incredible support system. Without them, I would be constantly doubting my decision and second guessing myself. I still have my pangs of doubts and fears, but when I do, I just go to my sounding boards and they remind me why what I’m doing is so important. These are the people who want you to succeed. Find yours.
- Know yourself. Know what your strengths and weaknesses are, and play to your strengths. If you don’t know something, it’s OK to ask for help. There are tons of people out there who know more than you and don’t mind sharing their knowledge. Find forums in your field and become active. Use Twitter. One day you will have an opportunity to give back, and when you can, don’t hesitate.
- Find your niche. There is no one who is exactly like you. Figure out what you do that adds value or makes you stand out above the rest. If you want to be another cog in the wheel, it would be easier just to get a job for someone else.
- Be prepared. I know that I will be taking a financial hit to follow my dreams. That’s OK. I prepared for it by putting away a little nest egg. I see this short term hit as an investment in my future.
- Do what you love. If you want to succeed, find what inspires you and just do it. Life is too short to be wishing away the days until your next vacation. Like my grandma always said, if you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life.
This is just the start of my journey, but just knowing that I’m doing it has made me a much calmer and happier person. I’m still a workaholic. I’m basically on the computer from the time I get up until I go to sleep, but I’m having fun, getting the most out of myself, living my dreams, and creating something great. That’s what it’s all about.