Writing Content That Attracts Links
- 10 easy tips for …
- Top 10 myths about …
- Top [category] Experts (Aaron Wall & Andy Hagans, 101 Ways to Build Link Popularity)
- (But don’t do Best Of. That’s my thing ).
- Write about, and link to, companies with “in the news” pages. (Google [your industry + "in the news"].) (Aaron & Andy)
- Perform surveys and studies that make people feel important. Salary.com did a study on how underpaid mothers were, and they got great links. (Aaron & Andy)
- Industry Guides: (Dawn Wentzell)
- If there’s no good guide for your industry, create it. Keep it updated.
- If you’ve done a series of posts on a topic, compile them together. If it’s a valuable resource, your users will promote it for you for years.
- How to’s and tutorials
Asking for Links
- Forget about going viral. Think about who you need links from, and give them things that are useful to them: (Patrick Altoft)
- Awards for top bloggers in your sector. And give prizes.
- Pick up the phone and ask the site owner “what can we do for you?”
- “Buying” links can be bad, but sponsorships, donations, and memberships with relevant sites can be good.
- Ego Stroking:
- Write testimonials
- Give out badges
- Ask for a link in all your communications: confirmation e-mails, newsletters, e-mail signatures …) (Rand Fishkin: Headsmacking Tip #1: Link requests in order confirmation e-mails)
- Follow Lisa’s 7 rules for asking for the link:
- Be personal
- Script lightly
- Be brief
- Remove buzzwords
- Be upfront
- Tell me what you want
- Don’t make e-mail your first point of contact
Creating Your Own Links
- Whenever you see a dead link that your link could naturally replace, find all the sites that link to that URL and ask for the link. You’re serving them, and you. (Hobo Web: Backlinks from Deadlinks)
This post focused on the tips that can get you relatively quick wins. Ideally you supplement these with a longer range strategy of building thought leadership in your field, including building relationships with your field’s thought leaders. But that’s for another post.
Sources & Further Reading:
- 101 Ways to Build Link Popularity
- 7 Tips for Better Link Pitches
- Link Building with the Experts – 2011 Edition
- Headsmacking Tip #1: Link requests in order confirmation e-mails
- Backlinks from Deadlinks
- Link Building Strategies and Ranking Tactics (SMX Toronto)
- Link Alchemy: Creative Ways Of Conjuring SEO Gold (SMX Advanced London)
- Get People to Put Your Message on Their Site