Best of SMX Toronto 2011
SMX Toronto was excellent. Here’s the best of the best:
Best Lines & Lessons
- Bruce Clay: In the future we’re going to have to analyze the analytics and not just report it (hat tip: @saffyre9)
- Dawn Wentzell:
- If you’re looking to convince your CEO not to use Flash, just tell him it won’t work on his iPad.
- If it’s hard to get links in your industry, find something tangentially related.
- Lyndsay Walker: If you have a small site or a few key pages, manually get rid of extra code that the template puts in.
- Christine Churchill:
- Click tracking can tell you what people are doing. To find out why you need to do live user testing.
- As an SEO consultant the people whose design you’re criticizing are probably the ones that hired you. So diplomacy is important.
- Alan K’necht: Agencies like Flash because they can charge a higher markup for it.
- Chris Sherman:
- The Steve Jobs reality distortion device: “People aren’t searching on mobile.” Yes, they are.
- Google says Panda only affected about 10-12% of the sites. Well, that’s more than 100 million websites.
- Google’s efficiency with search saves us about 350 million hours per year (hat tip: @jason_faber)
- Google Instant impacting user behavior. People are scanning. Page titles now matter a lot more. (hat tip: @aknecht)
- Kate Morris: Often ignored truth: Getting Facebook and Twitter friends and fans is the 1st step. Then you need to converse with them.
- Lyndsay Walker & Alan K’necht: When you interview designers, ask them what they do about SEO. If they hem & haw, or talk about keyword meta-tags, run the other way.
- Ken Dobell:
- People are getting better at search
- Average search query is growing in length
- 50% of searches are >3 words
- Only 1/3 of them get back an exact match
- What jumps off the page is what best mirrors what I typed
- 3 parts: Appear, appear relevant, be relevant
- Local is up 54% Year over Year
- Mitch Joel:
- How are you? [No response] I’m here, I’m not on YouTube, you can interact.
- Putting somebody in charge of Digital Marketing because they’re on Facebook is like making me an electrician because I turn on a light.
- This is all my contact information. [Shows Google home page]
- (Quoting Chris Anderson) Your brand isn’t what you say it is, it’s what Google says it is. And Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
- Most people aren’t where they should be right now. I’m not a futurist, I’m a presentist.
- Bruce Clay:
- First brands said we don’t need SEO
- Then they said OK, give me SEO but don’t change my site
- Then they said OK, you can change the page title, because that’s what SEO is
- @glinskiii: Idea of the conference – “The Daily Data Dump” – a one-pager for the executive bathroom. (hat tip: @GScottTweets)
- say hello when you enter an elevator should be a social media ranking factor for Google Canada
- keywords ranking reports are like royal families, at some point you have to bring back the guillotine to work hard
- @fmorello: Very True! Hi Mike, I’m Frank “@MikeOtt: I have done more networking through twitter than I have in person during #smx”
- Mitch Joel: His 3 year old complained that their 50″ LCD TV was broken because it wasn’t responding to his attempts to move elements off the screen so he could play Angry Birds.
- Jackson Lo: Highlights from SMX Toronto Day 1
Got more? Help me out by Tweeting me at @GilR with more nominations (and corrections). Thanx!
For more in the series, see:
- Best of SXSW 2011
- Best of SMX West 2011
- Best of SphinnCon 2011
- Best of SMX East 2o10
- Best of SMX Advanced 2010
- Best of WordCamp Jerusalem
- Best of 140: Twitter in Tel Aviv
- Best of SMX Toronto 2010
- Best of SphinnCon 2010
- Best of BirdBrain 2010
- Best of SMX Advanced 2009
- Best of PubCon 2009